Many ambitious students choose a career in computer science because they are aware of the smorgasbord of job opportunities that it offers. India’s information technology industry is known the world over, and therefore computer professionals are in huge demand all year round. You may also get a chance to work outside India as many IT companies hire smart and skilled computer professionals for their overseas offices. It is always a good idea to sign up for an internship in an IT company of your choice before accepting any job offer as it will help you recognize your own strengths and weaknesses along with building your confidence.
It is always a good idea to pursue information technology in government sponsored engineering colleges as opposed to private engineering colleges because the latter can get quite expensive. IIT’s can charge anywhere in the range of R 2,00,000 to R 2,70,000. You can also choose to get a diploma in computer application that is quite affordable and can cost you near about R 50,000.
A degree or diploma in computer sciences will open the doors to many exciting and high-paying job opportunities that you can choose from –
- Computer Communications Specialist
- Computer Engineer
- Database Administrator
- Data Communication Analyst
- Research Analyst
- System and Security Administrator
- Web Developers
- System Designer
- Help Desk Specialist
- Networking Specialist
- Data-warehouse Analyst
- E- Commerce Specialists
When you are starting out, you can expect a salary between R 15,000 – 25,000 every month. However, pay hikes will happen as soon as you get some experience. In just a matter of 2 years, you can expect to earn around R 40,000 per month. If you get to work on overseas projects, then you can expect to get paid even more along with other incentives. Graduates in computer science can also find jobs as teachers, the pay package would be somewhere around R 20,000 per month.
Your main role would be to apply the knowledge of mathematics and science to design and develop software which can be used by clients. You should have great communication skills as well as knowledge about computers to go far in this field. Information technology industry is very competitive and so you should be very focussed and motivated to really make a name for yourself.
- Bachelor’s Degree – 50% in 10+2 with subjects like maths, chemistry and biology.
- Diploma in Computer Science and Engineering – 3 years
- Diploma in Computer Science and Technology – 3 years
- Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Engineering – 4 years
- Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science and Engineering – 4 years
- Bachelor of Technology in Computer Engineering – 4 years
- Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science Engineering – 4 years
- Master of Engineering in Computer Engineering – 2 years
- Master of Engineering in Computer Science and Engineering – 2 years
- Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Networking – 2 years
- Master of Philosophy in Computer Science and Engineering – 2 years
- Diploma in Computer Application – 3 years
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Application – 3 years
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science – 3 years
- Bachelor of Computer Application – 3 years
- Master of Science in Computer Communication – 2-3 years
- Master of Computer Science – 2-3 years
- Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Hardware – 2-3 years
- IIT, Delhi
- Samalkha Group of Institution, NCR, Delhi
Your main role would be to apply the
knowledge of mathematics and science to
design and develop software which can be
used by clients.
I have been working as a web developer for some time now and I have to say that although it looks easy, it is not. You really need to test your abilities to the max to be able to give your clients what they need and it’s hectic. Tinkering with a website may look like it only takes minutes but it’s like a risky gamble in the developmental stage, one wrong move and you may just need to start from scratch. But it is also very enjoyable because you get to create something new every day and every assignment is a new challenge.
Deepak Medhi, Web Developer, Guwahati